The beautiful weather we are having this June means more time dining alfresco, and hopefully less time spent in the kitchen. Our two recipes for Irish potato salad and BBQ chicken skewers can be prepared in advance whilst the frozen strawberry margarita is best served immediately. Enjoy!
Irish Potato Salad Recipe
One popular Irish summer recipe is traditional Irish potato salad. It’s a refreshing and creamy side dish that pairs well with grilled meats or as part of a picnic spread.
- 900g of potatoes (preferably waxy potatoes like red potatoes)
- 60g mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 Spring Onions, finely chopped
- 75ml French Dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by boiling the potatoes until they are tender but still firm. You can leave the skin on for added texture and flavour or peel them if desired. Once cooked, drain and let them cool slightly before cutting them into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle with French Dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, chopped red onion, spring onions, and parsley. Mix well to combine all the ingredients and create a creamy dressing.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the bowl and gently toss them with the dressing until all the potatoes are well coated. Be careful not to overmix, as you don’t want the potatoes to become mushy.
- Season the potato salad with salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the potato salad for at least an hour before serving. Chilling allows the flavours to meld together and enhances the taste.
- Just before serving, give the potato salad a quick stir and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley. Serve it cold as a side dish or bring it along to a summer gathering.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Skewers
- 700g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 60g BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to make the marinade.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Place the chicken skewers in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them, making sure they are evenly coated. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to overnight in the refrigerator for maximum flavour.
- Lightly oil the grill grates to prevent sticking. Place the chicken skewers on the preheated grill.
- Cook the skewers for about 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and has nice grill marks. Baste the skewers with additional BBQ sauce during the last few minutes of cooking for extra flavour.
- Once cooked, remove the skewers from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the grilled BBQ chicken skewers hot with additional BBQ sauce on the side for dipping, if desired. They pair well with coleslaw, grilled vegetables, or a fresh salad.
Frozen Strawberry Margarita
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 400g frozen strawberries
- 120ml tequila
- 75ml triple sec
- 1 lime, juiced
- Tip the sea salt onto a saucer. Dampen the rims of two glasses, then turn the glass upside down in the salt and twist to coat the rim.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.