Lough Rea Hotel & Spa
Loughrea, Athenry, Co. Galway, H62Y189
Situated in a beautiful, peaceful, and convenient location, the four-star Lough Rea Hotel & Spa is a great base to explore all the hidden treasures the Wild Atlantic Way has to offer.
Loughrea town is located 22 miles (20 minutes) south east of Galway city, on the northern shore of Lough Rea. The pretty town centre boasts many small boutiques, cafés, gift-shops, restaurants and pubs, along with recreational facilities including a tennis court and golf courses for public use, playgrounds, a Blue-Flag beach and its very own lake-pier.
Loughrea is 5 minutes from the M6 Galway to Dublin motorway via the N65 from junction 16. Historically regarded by many as the heart of county Galway, Loughrea is the perfect gateway to landmarks such as Connemara’s Clifden, Cong in County Mayo, and the breath-taking Cliffs of Moher in County Clare.
For a relaxing break away, luxuriate at our award-winning Shore Island Spa, and let our professional team of spa therapists look after your needs with tailor-made pamper packages. We offer everything from soothing full body massages, luxurious facials, rejuvenating scrubs, body tanning, waxing, professional make-up application and in-house hairdressing services.
With an impressive location overlooking both the majestic Loughrea lake and Galway countryside, this four-star hotel offers superb state-of-the-art facilities in contemporary surroundings with views which can all be enjoyed from our fourth floor Rooftop Sky Bar & Garden Terrace.
- Galway City – 25 min
- Connemara – 45 min
- The Burren – 35 min
- Athlone – 30 min
- Athenry: Heritage town – 20km
- Clarinbridge: Famous for its sea food and annual autumn oyster festival – 25km
- Gort historic town: William Butler Yeats tower, Lady Gregory & Yeats Heritage Trail, Kilmacduagh Monestary – 24km
- Portumna: River Shannon, Portumna Castle and Gardens – 30km
- Woodford: Forest walks and fishing lakes – 23km
- Ballinasloe: Ballinasloe October Horse Fair – 29km
- Loch Riach / Lough Rea: The majestic lake is at the heart of our town and offers wonderful walks, swimming, fishing and a beautiful blue-flag beach along with its very own pier.
- Lough Rea Golf Club: Located just 5 minutes from the hotel, Loughrea Golf Club has long been recognized as one of the finest Parkland courses in the country.
- Lady Gregory & Yeats Heritage Trail: Follow in the footsteps of two of Ireland’s most influential literary figures and see the landscapes, sites and people who inspired some of their greatest works.
- St. Brendans Cathedral: 1.7km, 3-minute drive/10 minute walk from Lough Rea Hotel and Spa. Described as the jewel in the crown of the Celtic Revival, the magnificent St. Brendan’s Cathedral is ornately decorated and features an unrivalled collection of Irish stained glass.
- Clonfert Diocesan Museum: contains a range of fascinating items including the oldest surviving carved wooden statue in Ireland (c 1180 AD), the 500-year-old Matheus Macraith Chalice, Spectacular vestments and items from the penal times.
- Woodville Walled Garden: Kilchreest, 8.6km, 10 minute drive from Lough Rea Hotel and Spa. Woodville is home to a restored walled kitchen garden along with a museum outlining the fascinating connection to Lady Augusta Gregory at Woodville.
- Finnerty’s Mills & Museum:Kylebrack, 11km, 15-minute drive from Lough Rea Hotel and Spa. Finnerty’s water powered flour mill has been run by the same family for generations.
- Slieve Aughty Centre and Scenic Walking Routes: The ecotourist Slieve Aughty Centre is 11 km (19-minute drive) from the Lough Rea Hotel and Spa with lots to do for a day out for young and old.