Rathfarnham, Dublin, 14, D14 K3T6.
This Elizabethan period fortified house was commissioned in 1583 by the Archbishop–Chancellor of Ireland, Adam Loftus (d.1605), as his private residence. The design was radically modern for the time and the building combined defensive features such as the four angled corner towers and a series of gun loops with the comfort and status demanded by the owner.
Extensive remodelling and redecoration of Rathfarnham Castle took place in the eighteenth century under a series of later owners. Perhaps most notable are the works commissioned by Henry Loftus (d.1783) of such famous architects and designers as Sir William Chambers and James ‘Athenian’ Stuart. Much of the neo–classical design and decoration which characterises the building today can be attributed to their efforts.
Since coming into State care in the nineteen eighties much of the building has been restored to its Georgian splendour and today it features a collection of original fine art, including family portraits by Peter Lely, Angelica Kauffman and Hugh Douglas Hamilton together with some antique furnishings. A series of contemporary art exhibitions are held at the Castle throughout the year as well as a busy cultural programme of concerts, theatre, talks, lectures and other events.
Self guided Tour:
Visitors may explore the Castle themselves with the aid of hand held room guides spread throughout the building. Our guiding staff are happy to provide brief (5 min) historical introductions to self–guiding visitors should they wish for greater background and context before beginning their self guided tour.
Fully accessible building with entrance ramp, lift and accessible bathrooms.
Group Size: Min1 – Max.30
Duration: 40 minutes
May to October (inclusive):
Open daily 9.30am – 5.30pm.
Last admissions: 4.45pm.
November to April (inclusive):
Wednesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays.
10.30am – 5.00pm.
Last admissions 4.15pm.
- Car and Coach parking on site (pay and display).
- Tearooms: The Stuart and Chambers Tearooms by Brambles is open seven days a week from 09:30 to 16:30. Contact the Tearooms directly on +353 1 4939461. Tearooms open seven days.